0141 781 2277


Universal Credit

'Bedroom Tax'

Discretionary Housing Payments

Benefit Cap

Benefit Appeals

The Claimant Commitment


Personal Independence Payments

Local Housing Allowance

Information sheet 13 Rent arrears

Taking a lodger booklet

Bedroom Tax booklet


Personal Independence Payments came into effect in June 2013. Working age claimants (between 16-64 years) can no longer make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance and must instead claim for Personal Independence payment (PIP).

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

You could get between £21.80 and £139.75 a week.

The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. Claimants of PIP will now also need to meet prescribed conditions relating to residence and presence in Great Britain as well as needing an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

If you get Disability Living Allowance:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is ending for people who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over.

You’ll continue to get DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) writes to you to:

  • tell you when it will end
  • invite you to apply for PIP

Use the PIP checker to find out if and when you’ll be asked to claim.

You can keep getting DLA if you’re under 16 or you were born on or before 8 April 1948 and have an existing claim.

Making a claim:

A new PIP claim can be made by phone and basic information will be taken to start your claim such as:

  • contact details and date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • bank or building society details
  • doctor’s or health worker’s name
  • details of any time you’ve spent abroad, or in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. You can also write asking for a form to send the above information by post (this can delay the decision on your claim).

A personalised paper form called a ‘PIP2’ is then sent to you to complete. Most people claiming PIP will have to have a medical assessment by a DWP medical practitioner before a final decision on your claim is made.

PIP has 2 components, a mobility component and a daily living component. Both of these have 2 rates, the standard rate and the enhanced rate. The test for PIP is decided by referring to a schedule of activities and descriptors (a similar structure to that of ESA). Each descriptor has a set number of points and with each descriptor that applies to you, the points from that descriptor are added together. Your total amount of allocated points then determines whether you have enough to meet either the standard or enhanced rate of  PIP daily living or mobility component (if at all). It is expected that the majority of PIP awards will be for time limited periods only.

Children under 16 can still claim for DLA. At the moment there are no plans to change any DLA or Attendance Allowance awards for people over 65.

Current regulations state that claimants under 65 on 08/04/13 will be asked to make a PIP claim if their:

  • existing DLA award is due to end
  • claimant turns 16
  • claimant reports a change in circumstances
  • claimant voluntarily makes a claim for PIP

Appeals Process:

Follow these steps if you’re unhappy with your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) decision.

1.                   Discuss the decision with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP): DWP will try and contact you to discuss the decision once you’ve got the letter explaining why you’re not eligible. You can tell them why you don’t agree and give more information to support your argument, eg if your circumstances have changed.

You can also contact DWP before they contact you. The telephone number and address will be on your decision letter. Contact DWP as soon as possible if you think they’ve overlooked something or if your situation has changed.

2.                   Make a formal request to have the decision looked at again (known as ‘mandatory reconsideration’) if you’re still unhappy: If you’re still unhappy, you can contact DWP again and formally ask them to look at their decision again. This is called ‘mandatory reconsideration’ - you have to do it before you can appeal a decision.

You can phone or write to DWP and ask for a mandatory reconsideration - the details are on your decision letter.

You have to ask for a mandatory reconsideration within 1 month of the date of your decision letter. You must give reasons why you’re asking for a reconsideration. You’ll receive a ‘mandatory reconsideration notice’ as a response.

Appeal the decision if you’re unhappy with the mandatory reconsideration: You can appeal your decision if you’re still unhappy with DWP’s response in the mandatory reconsideration notice. To do this you should fill in the form ‘Notice of appeal against a decision of the Department for Work and Pensions - SSCS1’ and send it to the address on the form.  You must send form SSCS1 within 1 calendar month of the date on the mandatory reconsideration decision letter and include your mandatory reconsideration notice.

Further information can be found on the UK Government website and our Welfare Rights Assistant can assist with the appeals process