Nuisance and Anti-social Behaviour

Easthall Park takes any complaints of anti-social behaviour and neighbour nuisance seriously and is committed to taking quick and effective action.

We have a common anti-social behaviour and neighbour nuisance policy with Lochfield Park Housing Association which allows us to take a consistent approach in tackling anti-social behaviour in the wider area.

What is Anti Social Behaviour?

Anti-social Behaviour is defined under the Anti-social Behaviour, etc (Scotland) Act 2004 as where a person :-

  • Acts in a manner that causes, or is likely to cause alarm or distress, or
  • Pursues a course of conduct that causes, or is likely to cause alarm or distress to at least one person who is not in the same household.

By way of a guide, anti-social behaviour should be considered as falling into three types:-

  • Category A complaints relate to extreme forms of anti-social behaviour, and includes certain types of criminal behaviour such as drug dealing. Although behaviour which is criminal in nature is the responsibility of the police, we may also be able to take action if a breach of tenancy has occurred
  • Category B complaints relate to serious and frequent disturbances and includes vandalism, graffiti and harassment
  • Category C complaints relate to nuisance behaviour. This includes behaviour which is more of a nuisance than anti social. Examples include infrequent disturbances, boundary disputes, behaviour of small children.

What should I do if I am affected?

Contact your Housing Officer to discuss the matter. We will listen to your problem and try to give you the best advice and support as to how the matter can be effectively resolved. It is important to do this at an early stage, before an issue escalates. It is also important to clarify that staff deal with complaint in confidence, you can speak to us in full confidence that your identity will always be protected.

What action can Easthall Park take?

There are several courses of action that we can take depending on the problem. It is important that we are made aware of any problem so we can establish the facts during our investigation and take early action.

In severe cases or where persistent problems occur we can take legal action that could result in a tenancy ending.  However, we aim to try and resolve disputes between tenants, providing advice or intervention that may be all that is required to resolve the problem.

In serious cases, or when the dispute cannot be solved, we may attempt mediation if this is felt to be appropriate. Mediation aims to have problems discussed and resolved by all parties round the table.

What if my neighbour is not a tenant?

We may  be restricted in the action that we can take against owner occupiers and tenants of other landlords, we can provide advice and support to assist resolving the problem and it may be appropriate to consider the involvement of Police Scotland, Community Safety Glasgow and Environmental Health Department; we will give you advice and assistance where we can in these cases.

Noise Nuisance phone number

Police Scotland phone number